Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chapter 16- Life Hostage


Chapter 16- Life Hostage

                Hale had gone into work after resetting the codes on all the entrances to the estate. It meant that Esher, Katia, and Geneva wouldn’t be able to just drop by for a little while, but it would also protect him and Whitley from Kellan.
                The next morning, Hale was very depressed about what he had done to his brother. He went to find Whitley, who was trying her hand at sculpting.

                “Hale,” Whitley asked as he neared her. “Honey, what on earth is wrong?”
                His answer was simple and eloquent. She knew it before even asking. “Kellan.”

                “Sweetie,” Whitley made sure he was looking into her eyes. “You had to do that. Kellan cannot be here any longer. He was trying to hold our way of life hostage. You did the right thing.”

                “It doesn’t feel like the right thing,” Hale said glumly. “No one ever has been kicked out of Pipersville before. Much less a member of the Blue family. And I did that. I did that to my own brother.”

                “All he could talk about was how life was so unfair to him! How about how it was extremely unfair of him to do that to me?!? He endangered our entire way of life!” Hale’s voice had risen alarmingly. Even he was surprised by how much anger was inside him over it.

                “I even let you down,” Hale said, his voice tight with emotion. “He could have harmed you. He could have forced himself on you. And I didn’t do anything for so long. For so long, I let you down.”

                “Hale Blue,” Whitley said with a smile. “I have never been prouder of you. How could you ever think you let me down? You stood up not only for me, but for the entire town. You stood up for what was right and honest. I could never be ashamed of that! You gave me safety and security! I could never love you more than I do after you stand up for me. How lucky I am!”

                “And you know what,” Whitley asked. “Our kids are going to be proud of you too.”
                “Our kids?” Hale roused a little at that.

                “Well, our baby, at least. It’s too early to know about anything more than that yet.”
                Hale smiled and took Whitley gently in his arms. Maybe, in spite of it all, life was going to be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment