Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Chapter 10- Boiling Out


Chapter 10-Boiling Out

                They caught up with her just as she was about to enter the town’s fussy bistro. Kellan ran up to Katia, shouting her name causing others to stop and stare at him as he ran up to her. Antony had hung back to pay the driver, and Katia had not seen him.

 
                “I swear I just left you at Wiggles Park,” Katia gaped at Kellan as he ran up to her side.
                “Yeah, but I wasn’t done talking to you.”
                “Takes two for a conversation, Kell,” said Katia, turning to enter the restaurant.
                Kellan seized her arm pulling her back, knowing that if he didn’t say this quickly, she would give him a spectacular black eye for touching her. Katia did not like to be touched.

                “I gotta tell you this,” Kellan said. He didn’t see that Antony was now standing behind him, out of sight of Katia also. He again checked the crowd, making sure no one would hear what he had to tell his sister.

                “I had my reasons to ask Antony to ask you about Hale. It wasn’t that I was trying to come between you two,” Kellan began. “I’m trying to get dirt so I can knock Hale out of the CEO’s spot.”

                “Kellan, that is bar none, the craziest thing you have ever come up with,” said Katia. “Quit wasting my, and my husbands, time.” Katia was about to turn away, again, when Kellan’s rage came boiling out against her.

                “You should be supporting me! You should understand what I’m trying to do!” Kellan’s shouts echoed back making them more threatening than he had intended. Behind him, Antony tried to slink away while remaining unnoticed by the two. Maybe he could slip into work late without his boss noticing. Get a shift in.

                “I’m tired of being less than Hale! It cannot go on! I’ve worked hard enough for this! And I will have it. Hale doesn’t deserve to shine my shoes much less run a large conglomerate! And you, of all people, should recognize my talents! Not just my artistic talents, but my talents for getting people to do what I want them to do!” Kellan had lowered his voice so that instead of shouting, he was growling and snarling at Katia.

                “I’m going to take everything from anyone who stands in my way! I’ll give it all to Whitley! And control everything in this town, including you my dearest sister,” Kellan spat. “I’m not standing in between you and Antony, you are standing in the way of your own safety!”

                Katia took a deep, steadying breath, stepping away from Kellan and the darkness that clung to him as an aura. Her mind was reeling trying to understand what Kellan had just unleashed. She was shaking, though not as badly as Kellan.
                He too was trying to master himself again. Kellan just wanted her to understand, and to stand up for him. She had never stood up for what he believed in, or even for him. She had never been there to stop the taunts, the bullying, the childish cruelty inflicted on him. But it wouldn’t do him any good to alienate her; he needed her support just as he needed Princess’ support and Whitley’s love.

                Katia regained control of herself before Kellan could even begin to think of it. For a moment she was still able to meet his eye, hoping he would take heed of the glare she threw at him. Seeing that it merely bounced off his skull, Katia decided to take a different tack.

                “Kellan,” she said softly, leaning in towards him. “You know this is wrong. No, seriously, look at me.” She begged as he threw up a large, fake yawn. “You cannot do this. There is a reason Hale is running the family business. And I have no idea what you mean about Whitley, but Whitley loves Hale. She’s not going to leave him any time soon.”

                “Kellan,” Katia pleaded. “Please. You’ve got to stop planning whatever it is you’re planning. It’s not going to work. Get out of the house! Get a job! Spend some more time with Maksi, she really does love you, you know.”
                But Katia’s words fell on deaf ears. Kellan’s attention had wandered as he put all his effort into his fake yawn. The only thing distracting him now was his rumbling stomach.
                “Wanna grab a burger or something?” Kellan asked Katia, oblivious to the hurt she was feeling.

                Kellan could not understand why Katia had hung her head. He’d offered her food, and bared his soul to her. And now she was… crying?
                Katia heaved a heavy sigh, a single tear falling onto her cheek. Kellan took a step back, and turned to go and eat. Standing there alone, Katia’s mind continued to reel. She could hardly wrap her mind around it, and could not put the puzzle completely together.
                Feeling alone, and exposed, Katia squared her shoulders, and lifted her head. No one would ever know how bad Kellan had rattled her. As she turned to hail a cab though, she spotted Whitley and Hale. She supposed the two had come here for a date and had been chatting to friends behind her as Kellan had revealed his sick and twisted scheme. But now, she’d ruin their evening, even as Kellan had ruined hers. After all, what was one bad night for a few people, compared to a bad life for all?

No comments:

Post a Comment