Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Chapter 2-Our Long Forever


Chapter 2- Our Long Forever

It was the night before the wedding. The DJ reserved, the venue rented, tuxes hung in the upstairs closets, with a very large garment bag suspended from one of the chandeliers in the master suite. Hale had been putting off talking about a lot of things with Whitley in the bliss of engagement, but now there was no time left. Sitting beside her on the couch, he decided to try the waters.

 
“Tomorrow is sure going to be a big day, huh?” he breathed quietly to her.


“It’s going to be a wonderful day I should hope! Don’t you?” Whitley giggled back.

“Obviously.”


“It’s just so exciting to think, after all the months of preparation, it’s finally happening! We’re going to get married! Tomorrow!” Whitley gushed.


“Wait a second… did I forget… oh no… I think I forgot… wait… no… maybe…nah… It’s ok. At least… I mean… wow. Tomorrow.” Hale stuttered.


“You know, my family is all about drama. Can’t get together for dinner without a food fight happening. Are you sure you want this big wedding? I mean, anything can go wrong,” said Hale.


“You don’t know my family like I do. I wouldn’t be surprised if Aunt Emma brings up all the old family garbage, flinging it left, right and center just to see who will rise to the bait. My dad might even come up in all of that. And that would bring up your mom.”


“It’s some stinky stuff that floats around in our family’s skeleton closet. Like did you know that Lavery is still so mad at Katharine that-“


                “Alright! Enough! I don’t need the nightmares of garbage fights on the night before our wedding! And trust me that my parents will take care of dear Emma Pink should she happen to start crap on my big day!” Whitley exploded. “It has long been legend what garbage floats around this town in regards to almost everything to do with your father; as my mother is included in that, DEAL WITH IT. I know I have. I know I will.”

For a few moments there was nothing but silence as they watched the 10 o’clock newsman make a blunder in a story. Hale could definitely relate to him at that moment. Perhaps he hadn’t said quite what he should have. Maybe he should have been more delicate, maybe not brought up her mother. He decided to do what the newsman had just done: Roll with it.


“I really like fishing. Maybe I’ll get up early, go out to the lake, catch a few before everything starts tomorrow. Shoot! If I can catch the right stuff, maybe we can serve it on the buffet! Sushi is nice,” Hale rambled.


“The buffet after the ceremony has long been set in stone,” Whitley sighed. “Maybe we can ask the caterers to leave a spot for some fresh fish, though, if you’d really like. So long as you don’t smell fishy during the ceremony.”


“This is the beginning of the rest of our lives you know. This is supposed to be about our public commitment to being together… forever. It’s going to be ok,” said Whitley.


“Maybe you can even teach me to catch a few during our long forever together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment