Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Chapter 8- Someone You Can Push


Chapter 8-Someone you can push

                Shortly after Katia had moved out she had eloped with her high school sweetheart Antony. Antony had never been much around the family as Katia was desperate to keep them away from him. She was sure that no one would approve of one another and thought things were best her own way. Doing research one day, Kellan had seen Antony and decided the time was ripe to get to know his new brother-in-law.

                He had begun the conversation by asking him if Katia had ever leaked any information about Hale that he could use. He knew that there was only the slightest of possibilities that Antony would have anything useable, but he just didn’t know what Katia might have told her husband. One thing led to another and eventually the real reason he was asking for information slipped out.

                Kellan was extremely pleased when Antony seemed more than willing to bring up the topic discreetly to Katia just for Kellan’s use. It couldn’t have worked better for Kellan and he had a new confidante in the bargain.
                A few weeks went by and Antony had finally called Kellan back, wanting to meet at the park to tell him what he knew.

                “You, my fiendish friend, have got to be more careful with your sister,” Antony began. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so upset, and that includes after your mom made a fool of herself at that wedding a few years ago. Do you know that she almost seemed to know what you were up to?”
                Kellan didn’t have to think very hard to know almost to a certainty that Katia could see straight through him. She had always been able to almost figure him out before even he could.

                “What Katia thinks is not my worry right now. I just want to make sure that she doesn’t blab to Hale or Whitley. She really seems to like Whitley,” said Kellan.

                “You almost sound as though my wife and I aren’t in perfect harmony,” said Antony reproachfully. “Katia is not your worry. I’ve been thinking it over. Your main worry is Whitley. She may be clueless, but you are going to have to win her over first if you want to pull anything over on Hale. Hale adores her. If he loses her to you, he might just give it all up.”

                “And that is one thing I’m completely assured of,” Kellan enthused. “Whitley adores me. She totally thinks I’m better than Hale. Worships me even! She’s quite anxious anticipating when I’ll take over. Hale is totally in the dark. He even still thinks she’s over the moon for him!”
                It gave Kellan great pleasure to finally voice those thoughts to someone else. Whitley had been floating in his brain for entirely too long. He needed to tell everyone of his secret love.

                “Right now, though, Whitley is not the focus. She is in my pocket. I need to focus on Hale. But I need to be assured that the rest of town will not think that I’m attempting a family coup. I need something that will make the rest of the town absolutely hate him. Maybe even hate Whitley too. That might crush him even further.” Kellan’s voice had become hard.

                Antony would like to believe that he was in Kellan’s corner, but his doubts about the entire arrangement began to creep up listening to Kellan say that Whitley might even need to be sacrificed for his aims. After all, if Kellan really loved Whitley wouldn’t he want to protect her in the aftermath of the scandal? And if he didn’t, why didn’t he just marry Maksi and have someone just like him beside him at the top of the Blue Empire?

                “Kell, man,” Antony interrupted Kellan in full flow. “I don’t see why you would need to try and crush Whitley if she’s already in your pocket. Why torture her if she’s on your side?”
                “It would crush Hale to see her hurt. Might even make him walk away even faster, he’s such a coward,” Kellan almost spat the words.

                “Whitley deserves so much better than him. I just hope that she doesn’t have to wait too long for me to finish toppling Hale,” Kellan said.
                “So you do have a plan then,” Antony asked. He was hoping this was not just some wild scheme that would drag on for years as Kellan dug fruitlessly against Hale.

                Antony did not realize the nerve he had inadvertently touched upon.
                “Of course I have a plan!” Kellan exploded, causing several pigeons nearby to take flight. “Didn’t I ask you to dig up dirt on by brother by asking Katia? Katia has been much closer to Hale than I have! She might even be in on a few of his secrets! But she suspects me and I had to get you to ask!”

                “No one seems to trust me,” Kellan yelled. “This has got to end so that I can take control of the businesses, and take control of this town!”
                Kellan stood taking deep breaths for a second, pushing his anger down again so others at the park would not hear what the two men were discussing. This could not leak out.

                “I’m always being pushed aside. By everyone, including my own mother,” Kellan was almost pleading with Antony to understand and take his side. “It’s my turn to show them that I’m not someone you can push. I want to show them that I push back, and hard.”

                “I can totally understand, Kell,” Antony said, attempting to smooth his faux pas over. “I just think trying to dig up something on Whitley could possibly backfire, especially if she’s already on your side. Keep her there, focus on Hale.”
                Kellan stood a moment and looked thoughtfully at Antony. He was only trying to help after all, and an outsider’s unbiased opinion might help him keep things simple.

                “So, did Katia give you anything you can tell me?” Kellan was more than willing to move on.
                “Not really. I just asked for family stories. Do you know that your mother tried to set him up with Billie Imaga first? She was going for it, but it was Hale who held back. He’d had a crush on Whitley all while she was dating Oliver. He was just waiting for her.”

                “And did you hear how he blew up the junkyard that time? Sounds like your parents had to pay a hefty fine to smooth it all over. I guess he was quite keen on inventing?” Antony was digging deep trying to remember everything he’d heard from Katia about Hale.
                “I know almost all of that,” Kellan mournfully told Antony. “I remember when he blew up the junkyard. It was an absolutely foolish accident.”
                Kellan felt Antony could have done better. All that was very public information, and information that was worthless to him.

                “Look Antony,” Kellan interrupted. “That’s a great start. Keep trying to get stuff out of her. We’ll need lots to overthrow Hale. Maybe she’ll start pulling out the good stuff soon.”

                Antony pulled himself up to his full height and threw a salute at Kellan.
                “Yes, sir,” Antony barked. He was fully enjoying his role as spy. He’d always wanted to save the world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment