Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Chapter 9- People I Can't See


Chapter 9- People I can’t see

                Antony then told Kellan that Katia was at the park too. She had been taking part in a chess tournament in another area and had no idea that Antony had asked Kellan to meet him there.

 
                “I’ve got to go to work now, but why don’t you go and talk to Katia,” Antony told Kellan. “She says she’s worried about you.” He then turned and left Kellan standing on the sidewalk, noticing for the first time the woman standing looking intently at him.
                She made him quite uncomfortable, and he decided he’d rather risk an angry Katia that some crazy old bat who probably recognized him from the tabloids. Those tabloid readers were a totally different breed of crazy in him opinion.

                He’d managed to catch up with her shortly before she descended into the subway station near the park’s entrance. For a moment Kellan thought it was going to be just like old times where Katia was still his biggest supporter, as well as the only one who had understood him. If he hadn’t been watching her eyes, he might have even missed the spark that flashed across them right before she opened her mouth.

                “What the hell is your deal,” Katia demanded of her twin brother. “Antony starts asking about my childhood. I thought it was totally innocent. I was telling him about my memories. Do you know what happened?”

                “Kellan! I thought he was asking about me! I thought my husband,” Katia’s voice faltered and she had to pause for a moment. “I thought my husband was asking about me. He wasn’t focused on invisible people I can’t see. He was alert and attentive.” She purred slightly thinking about Antony this way.

                ‘But, no,” Katia suddenly snarled. “He was asking because you wanted him to ask. I told you when I moved out that I was done with you Kellan. I cannot handle the drama you cause in my life. Med School is enough for me to handle, then you come along and see if you can’t get my husband to pretend to try to distract me. It’s not going to work. Back off.”
                Katia hurled the last two words at him with such force he almost had to take a step back. But his mind had slipped away from Katia. He’d heard those words not too long ago. “Who had said that?” Kellan wondered inwardly.

                Katia noticed that she had lost Kellan’s attention, and was determined not to let him slip away from her.
                “Did you hear me Kellan?” The concern in Katia’s voice brought Kellan back to earth sharply. “I asked you to back off. Stay away from me and Antony.”

                “This is my shot at a sunny day, Kell,” Katia sighed. “Please.”

                Deciding to change tactics and throw Katia off balance, Kellan glanced around him to make sure there was no one near enough to hear.

                Seeing no one within hearing range, he crooked a finger at Katia beckoning her closer. He didn’t want anyone to hear what he had to say.

                “I think Antony might be my first real friend,” he whispered in her ear. “But don’t tell anyone, even him. I don’t want my reputation to be spoiled if people find out I’m capable of liking others.”

                “Aw, Kell,” Katia said. “You know I wouldn’t do anything to lose you any friend of yours.” She didn’t see Antony walking up to the pair behind her; she didn’t realize he had skipped his shift.

                “But I swear that if you try to come between my husband and I again, I now have the medical know how to be able to rip your nut sack out through your throat.” Katia’s sudden turn had completely taken Kellan aback. “Got it? Once again, back… Off.” Katia demanded, jabbing a finger hard into his chest.
                Katia hadn’t bothered to turn to the subway station behind her, and instead headed for the sidewalk and hailed a passing cab. Kellan’s mind was whirling. He needed Katia’s support; he had never been without it. They had always been connected.
                Kellan made a snap decision. He would tell Katia everything. That should get both men off her hook, and might even get her on Kellan’s side. He ran forward a few paces, grabbed Antony’s arm, and hailed the next cab.
                “Follow that cab!” He bellowed, shoving Antony inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment